Monday, May 3, 2010

Greetings from a scooterist.

Raleigh, NC

I ride my scooter to work every day and very often I get yelled at by car drivers that I slowed them down. I have tried to empathize with you and have tried to understand your road rage but have failed. I have built empathy for the poor, the underprivileged, the struggling grad students, the clueless undergrads, the overworked TA’s and underpaid restaurant workers. This road rage though defies my understanding. On blogs, I see perverts posting their fantasies and the intelligent trying to provoke a reasoned debate on issues they care about. I will use this forum to explain a few things in the interest of mutual understanding.




Do I have the same right of road as you have?

Yes. Just because you are driving a car does not give you an entitlement to the road. I have the same right to the road as you have and so do the students who ride a bicycle to their classes every day. I slow you down? Well, the bicyclists slow me down as well but I respect their right to the road and just give a smile and a nod when I pass them by. A little bit of respect and acknowledgement can go a long way in making the society a better place. So shut the f**k up and drive behind me and wait for your turn to pass. If you are trailing me for a long time patiently, then I usually move to the side of the road and at the first available opportunity, will let you pass. Some drivers acknowledge this gesture and give me the universal “thumbs up” sign and a smile. This acknowledgement makes me happy. I am no saint but I am no self serving bas***d either.

Why should I be on the road?
For the same reason you are on the road stupid. I need to get some place, be it work, gym or the grocery store.

Why am I in the middle lane?
Douche bag, I have to make the next left. That’s exactly why. I can’t be a super moped hero, moped ninja, super moped man or a flying James "moped" bond, to make a flying left turn from the right most lane. Does it make things clear?

Why I drive this moped?
It makes perfect financial sense. This moped costs 500 dollars to buy a used one, gives 80 miles a gallon and the insurance comes to 90$ per year. Add to it, I live just 1.5 miles from my work place. So it makes perfect financial sense which you, the guy driving the hummer with 500$ rims will surely not be able to comprehend.

To sum it up, I will be nice and I will let you pass. I will be respectful of your road rights, but if you yell or f**k with me, I will drive at 15 miles per hour and hold the entire traffic down during the morning rush hour and make your hummer feel like a worthless piece of s**t. Yes, I have this aggressive side to me as well. I just don't express it as road rage.

So just shut the f**k up and drive behind me.

Good day
The Scooterist you yelled at today.

No comments:

Post a Comment