Thursday, February 18, 2010

Irrational exuberance

Raleigh, NC

I was so excited to receive the MBA admission offer from HEC Paris that rationality and realism went out the window and I made some over-ambitious plans. I bought the Rosetta stone software for French, level 1,2 and 3. I planned on finishing all the 3 levels by the start of the MBA program in Septemeber. All this in parallel to

-Learning Portuguese
-Working out regularly
-Drinking beer with friends on the weekends
-Upcoming travel plans to Brazil and India.
-Emptying my apartment and getting out of USA.

The HEC MBA admission offer led to some irrational exuberance and now the bubble has busted. Reality is sinking in. I will not be able to finish all the 3 level's of Rosetta stone French in time for the start of the MBA program. Language learning takes time and it is not possible to cram everything into the mind at once, like I used to do for my exams in grad school. Retention is the key to language learning and that takes it's own sweet time. I plan on not making any more plans.

I accumulated some good karma this week. I donated all my computer science books to the library at my workplace. I don't plan on getting back to programming after my MBA and hope that these books are helpful to my coworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment